Institute of Hydrology and Water Resources
Department of Hydraulic Engineering
Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
Institute of Hydrology and Water Resources
Department of Hydraulic Engineering
Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
2008-2013 PhD in Hydrology, Department of Hydraulic Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
2010-2011 Visiting PhD student, National Centre for Groundwater Research and Training & School of Environment, Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia
2004-2008 B. E., College of Water Resources & Hydropower, Sichuan University, Chengdu, China
2020 ~present Associate Professor
2018.8 ~2020 Assistant Professor
Department of Hydraulic Engineering, Tsinghua University, China
2018.2 ~2018.8 Research Fellow
Research School of Earth Sciences, Australian National University, Australia
2015.2 ~2018.2 OCE Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Land and Water Flagship, CSIRO, Canberra, Australia
2013.9 ~2015.1 Postdoctoral Research Fellow
National Centre for Groundwater Research and Training
School of the Environment, Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia
1. Oceanographic Remote Sensing & Big Data, for undergraduate students
2. Groundwater Water Dynamics，for graduate students
3. Catchment Ecohydrology, for undergraduate students
Environmental Physics, Ecohydrology, Coupled Water-Carbon-Energy cycles, Remote Sensing, Global Change Science
1. “Vegetation carrying capacity in the Three North region of China based on ecohydrological optimality and land-atmosphere interaction”, National Natural Science Foundation of China – General Program, 2021.1~2024.12 (PI;￥550,000)
2. “Changes in water cycle and soil-water coupling processes in the Yellow River Basin”, National Natural Science Foundation of China – Major Program, 2021.1~2024.12 (Co-PI; Personal share:￥900,000)
3. “Flood risk warning system: technology and uncertainties”, Ministry of Science and Technology of China, 2020.1 ~ 2022.12 (PI;￥2,820,000)
4. “Development of water-heat intelligent control technology for residential comfort”, Guoqiang Institute of Tsinghua University, 2020 ~ 2021 (PI; ￥1,000,000)
5. “Modelling the water resources system in the Tsaidam Basin”, Key Program of the Department of Science and Technology, Qinghai Province (PI;￥2,800,100)
6. Ecohydrological processes and the responses to global change in China’s Loess Plateau”, Research Fund Program of State key Laboratory of Hydroscience and Engineering, 2019 (PI; ￥300,000)
7. “Change of the hydrological processes and its underlying mechanism in the source areas of Upper Yangtze River”, National Science Foundation of China – Major Program, 2019.1 – 2024.1 (Co-PI; Personal share:￥750,000);
8. “Coupled water-energy-carbon cycles under change”, 1000-Talent Program – Youth Program, 2018.8 – 2021.8 (PI; ￥3,000,000);
9. “Hydrological implications of long-term vegetation response to CO2 fertilization”, CSIRO OCE Postdoc Project, 2015.2 ~ 2018.2 (PI; A$722,000);
10. “Examination of extreme hydro-climatic events and its impact on regional carbon and water cycles in a large karst plateau of Southwest China using remote sensing”, Open Research Fund Program of State key Laboratory of Hydraulics and Mountain River Engineering, 2014 ~ 2015. (PI; ￥80,000);
11. “Remote sensing the coupled water and carbon cycles in irrigation district of arid region”, Open Research Fund Program of State key Laboratory of Hydroscience and Engineering, 2014 ~ 2015. (PI; ￥100,000)
2017 ~ present: Associate Editor: Journal of Hydrology
2020 ~ present: Associate Editor: Remote Sensing of Environment
2018 ~ present: Editorial Board: Environmental Research Communications
2020 ~ present: Editorial Board: Science of Remote Sensing
Member: American Geophysical Union, European Geosciences Union, Fluxnet Young Scientist
Honors and Awards
1. The Outstanding Early Career Researcher of Tsinghua University, 2019.
2. AOGS Hydrology Session Distinguished Early Career Lecturer, 2018.
3. Editor’s Choice Award (top 1%), Water Resources Research, 2016.
4. Adjunct Lecture, School of the Environment, Flinders University, 2015 ~ now.
5. Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Early Career Researcher of Flinders University, 2014.
6. Best PhD Dissertation of Tsinghua University (1st Prize, top 1%), 2013.
7. The National Outstanding Postgraduate Student Award of China, 2013.
8. The Liu Guangwen Scholarship for Outstanding Postgraduate Student in Hydrology (1st Class,
one of the three in the country), 2012.
9. The Zhang Guangdou Scholarship for Outstanding Student in Hydraulic Engineering, 2007.
1. Yuting Yang, 2015. Evapotranspiration over heterogeneous vegetated surfaces: Models and Applications. Springer. p.145.
2. Yuting Yang, 2018. Remotely sensed evapotranspiration, in Ecohydrology: Observation and Measurement. Xin Li and Harry Vereecken (Eds), Springer Nature.
Journal Article (*Corresponding Author):
1. Cicheng Zhang, Yuting Yang*, Dawen Yang, Xiuchen Wu, 2021. Multidimensional assessment of global dryland changes under future warming in climate projections. Journal of Hydrology, 592, 125618.
2. Cicheng Zhang, Yuting Yang*, Dawen Yang, Zhengrong Wang, Xiuchen Wu, Shulei Zhang, Wenjie Zhang, 2020. Vegetation response to elevated CO2 slows down the eastward movement of the 100th Meridian. Geophysical Research Letters, 47, e2020GL089681.
3. Yuyan Luo, Yuting Yang*, Dawen Yang, Shulei Zhang, 2020. Quantifying the impact of vegetation changes on global terrestrial runoff using the Budyko framework. Journal of Hydrology, 590, 125389.
4. Juntai Han, Yuting Yang*, Michael Roderick, Tim McVicar, Dawen Yang, Shulei Zhang, Hylke Beck, 2020. Assessing the steady-state assumption in water balance calculation across global catchments. Water Resources Research, 56(7), e2020WR027392.
5. Yuting Yang*, Shulei Zhang, Michael Roderick, Tim McVicar, Dawen Yang, Wenbin Liu, Xiaoyan Li, 2020. Comparing PDSI drought assessments using the traditional offline approach with direct climate model outputs. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 24, 2921-2930.
6. Guanheng Zheng, Yuting Yang, Dawen Yang*, Baptiste Dafflon, Yonghong Yi, Deliang Chen, Bing Gao, Taihua Wang, Ruijie Shi, Qingbai Wu, 2020. Remote sensing spatiotemporal patterns of frozen soil and the environmental controls over the Tibetan Plateau during 2002–2016. Remote Sensing of Environment, 247, 111927.
7. Taihua Wang, Dawen Yang*, Yuting Yang*, Shilong Piao, Xin Li, Bojie Fu, Guodong Chen, 2020. Permafrost thawing puts the frozen carbon at risk over the Tibetan Plateau. Science Advances, 6, eaaz3513.
8. Ruochen Cao, Zhongmin Hu*, Zhiyun Jiang, Yuting Yang, Wei Zhao, Genan Wu, Xiaoming Feng, Ruru Chen, Guangcun Hao, 2020. Shifts in ecosystem water use efficiency on China's Loess Plateau caused by the interaction of climatic and biotic factors over 1985-2015. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 291, 108100.
9. Shulei Zhang, Yuting Yang*, Tim McVicar, Lu Zhang, Dawen Yang, Xiaoyan Li, 2020. A proportionality-based multi-scale catchment water balance model and its global verification. Journal of Hydrology, 582, 124446.
10. Bing Liu*, Wenzhi Zhao, Zijuan Wen, Yuting Yang, Xuexiang Chang, Zhaocen Zhu, Rui Si, 2020. Hydrochemical characteristics jointly determine the transport and cycling of soil carbon, nitrogen, and phosphorus in an arid Chinese wetland. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, 125(7), e2020JG005697.
11. Xu Lian, Shilong Piao*, Laurent Z. X. Li, Yue Li, Chris Huntingford, Philippe Ciais, Alessandro Cescatti, Ivan A. Janssens, Josep Peñuelas, Wolfgang Buermann, Anping Chen, Xiangyi Li, Yongwen Liu, Ranga B. Myneni, Xuhui Wang, Yilong Wang, Yuting Yang, Zhenzhong Zeng, Yongqiang Zhang, Tim R. McVicar, 2020. Summer soil drying exacerbated by earlier spring greening of northern vegetation. Science Advances, 6, eaax0225.
12. Guanheng Zheng, Yuting Yang, Dawen Yang*, Baptiste Dafflon, Huimin Lei, Hanbo Yang, 2019. Satellite-Based Simulation of Soil Freeze-Thaw Processes in the Northeast Tibetan Plateau. Remote Sensing of Environment, 231, 111269.
13. Yuting Yang*, Michael Roderick*, Shulei Zhang, Tim McVicar, Randall Donohue. Hydrologic implications of vegetation response to elevated CO2 in climate projections, 2019. Nature Climate Change, 9, 44-48.
14. Yuting Yang, Michael Roderick*, 2019. Radiation, surface temperature and evaporation over wet surfaces. Quarterly Journal of Royal Meteorological Society, 145, 1118-1129.
15. Sergio Vicente-Serrano*, Tim McVicar, Diego Miralles, Yuting Yang, Mique Tomas-Burguera, 2019. Unraveling the influence of atmospheric evaporative demand on drought and its response to climate change. WIREs Climate Change, e632.
16. Kun Zhang, Gaofeng Zhu, Jinzhu Ma*, Yuting Yang, Shasha Shang, Chunjie Gu, 2019. Parameter analysis and estimates for the MODIS evapotranspiration algorithm, and multi-scale verification. Water Resources Research, 55, 2211-2231.
17. Yongqiang Zhang*, Dongdong Kong, Rong Gan, Francis Chiew, Tim McVicar, Qiang Zhang, Yuting Yang, 2019. Coupled estimation of 500m and 8-day resolution global evapotranspiration and gross primary production in 2002-2017. Remote Sensing of Environment, 222, 165-182.
18. Baoqing Zhang, Amir AghaKouchak, Yuting Yang, Jiahua Wei*, Guangqiang Wang*, 2019. A water-energy balance approach for multi-category drought assessment across globally diverse hydrological basins. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 264, 247-265
19. Bing Liu, Wenzhi Zhao, Zijuan Wen, Yuting Yang, Xuexiang Chang, Qiyue Yang, Yangyang Meng, Chan Liu, 2019. Mechanisms and feedbacks for evapotranspiration-induced salt accumulation and precipitation in an arid wetland of China. Journal of Hydrology, 568, 403-415
20. Hui Yang, Shilong Piao, Chris Huntingford, Philippe Ciais, Yue Li, Tao Wang, Shushi Peng, Yuting Yang, Dawen Yang, Jinfeng Chang, 2018. Changing retention properties of catchments and their influence on runoff under climate change. Environmental Research Letters, 13(9), 094019.
21. Yuting Yang*, Shulei Zhang, Tim McVicar, Hylke Beck, Yongqiang Zhang, Bing Liu, 2018. Disconnection between trends of atmospheric drying and continental runoff. Water Resources Research, 54(7), 4700-4713.
22. Jianyu Liu, Yongqiang Zhang*, Yuting Yang*, Xihui Gu, Mingzhong Xiao, 2018. Investigating Relationships Between Australian Flooding and Large-Scale Climate Indices and Possible Mechanism. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmosphere, 123(16), 8708-8723.
23. Xu Lian, Shilong Piao*, Chris Huntingford, Yue Li, Zhenzhong Zeng, Xuhui Wang, Philippe Ciais , Tim McVicar, shushi Peng, Catherine Ottlé, Hui Yang, Yuting Yang, Yongqiang Zhang, Tao Wang, 2018. Partitioning global land evapotranspiration using CMIP5 models constrained by observations. Nature Climate Change, 8, 640-646.
24. Rong Gan, Yongqiang Zhang*, Hao Shi, Yuting Yang, Derek Eamus, Lei Cheng, Francis Chiew, Qiang Yu, 2018. Use of satellite leaf area index estimating evapotranspiration and gross assimilation for Australian Ecosystems. Ecohydrology, e1974.
25. Shulei Zhang, Dawen Yang*, Yuting Yang, Shilong Piao, Hanbo Yang, Huimin Lei, Bojie Fu, 2018. Excessive afforestation and soil drying on China’s Loess Plateau. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, 123(3), 923-935.
26. Zhenzhong Zeng, Shilong Piao*, Laurent Z.X. Li, Tao Wang, Philippe Ciais, Xu Lian, Yuting Yang, Jiafu Mao, Xiaoying Shi, Ranga B. Myneni, 2018. Impact of Earth greening on the terrestrial water cycle. Journal of Climate, 31, 2633-2650.
27. Shulei Zhang, Yuting Yang*, Tim McVicar, Dawen Yang, 2018. An analytical solution for the impact of vegetation cover changes on hydrological partitioning within the Budyko framework. Water Resources Research, 54, 519-537.
28. Zhao Jin, Wei Liang, Yuting Yang, Weibin Zhang, Jianwu Yan*, Xuejuan Chen, Sha Li, Xingguo Mo, 2017. Separating vegetation greening and climate change controls on evapotranspiration over the Loess Plateau. Scientific Reports, 7, 8191.
29. Yuting Yang*, Tim McVicar, Randall Donohue, Yongqiang Zhang, Michael Roderick, Francis Chiew, Lu Zhang, Junlong Zhang, 2017. Lags in hydrologic recovery following an extreme drought: assessing the roles of climate and catchment characteristics. Water Resources Research, 53(6), 4821-4837 (Editor’s Highlight).
30. Jia Li, Dan Liu, Tao Wang*, Yinnian Li, Shiping Wang, Yuting Yang, Xiaoyi Wang, Hui Guo, Hui Yang, Shushi Peng, Jinzhi Ding, Miaogen Shen, Lei Wang, 2017. Grassland restoration reduces water yield in the headstream region of Yangtze River. Scientific Reports, 7, 2162.
31. Bing Liu*, Huade Guan, Wenzhi Zhao, Yuting Yang, ShouboLi, 2017. Groundwater facilitated water-use efficiency along a gradient of groundwater depth in arid northwestern China. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 233, 235-241.
32. Randall Donohue*, Michael Roderick, Tim McVicar, Yuting Yang, 2017. A simple hypothesis of how leaf and canopy-level transpiration and assimilation respond to elevated CO2 reveals distinct response patterns between disturbed and undisturbed vegetation.. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, 122(1), 168-184.
33. Yuting Yang*, Donohue J. Randall, Tim R. McVicar, 2016. Global estimation of effective plant rooting depth: Implications for hydrological modelling. Water Resources Research, 52, 8260-8276 (Editor’s Highlight; Editor’s Choice Award 2016).
34. Yuting Yang*, Randall Donohue, Tim McVicar, Michael Roderick, Hylke Beck, 2016. Long-term CO2 fertilization increases vegetation productivity and has little effect on hydrological partitioning in tropical rainforests. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, 121(8), 2125-2140 (Editor’s Highlight).
35. Yuting Yang*, Huade Guan, Okke Batelaan, Tim McVicar, Di Long, Wei Liang, Shilong Piao, Bing Liu, Zhao Jin, Craig Simmons, 2016. Contrasting responses of water use efficiency to drought across global terrestrial ecosystems. Scientific Reports, 6, 23284.
36. Lei Jiang, Songhao Shang*, Yuting Yang, Huade Guan, 2016. Mapping interannual variability of maize cover in a large irrigation district using a vegetation index – phenological index classifier. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 123, 351-361.
37. Tian Zhang, Jian Peng*, Wei Liang, Yuting Yang, Yanxu Liu, 2016. Spatial-temporal patterns of water use efficiency and climate controls in China’s Loess Plateau during 2000-2010. Science of the Total Environment, 565, 105-122.
38. Wenzhi Zhao*, Bing Liu, Xuexiang Chang, Qiyue Yang, Yuting Yang, Zhiling Liu, James Cleverly, Derek Eamus, 2016. Evapotranspiration partitioning, stomatal conductance and components of the water balance: A special case of a desert ecosystem in China. Journal of Hydrology, 538, 374-386.
39. Qiang Liu*, Tim McVicar, Zhifeng Yang, Randall Donohue, Liqiao Liang, Yuting Yang, 2016. The hydrological effects of varying vegetation characteristics in a temperate water-limited basin: Development of the dynamic Budyko-Choudhury-Porporato (dBCP) model. Journal of Hydrology, 534, 595-611.
40. Yuting Yang*, Randall Donohue, Tim McVicar, Michael Roderick, 2015. An analytical model for relating global terrestrial carbon assimilation with climate and surface conditions using a rate-limitation framework. Geophysical Research Letters, 42, 9825-9835.
41. Yuting Yang*, Huade Guan, Di Long, Bing Liu, Guanghua Qin, Jun Qin, Okke Batelaan, 2015. Estimation of surface soil moisture from thermal infrared remote sensing using an improved trapezoid method. Remote Sensing, 7, 8250-8270.
42. Yuting Yang*, Di Long, Huade Guan, Wei Liang, Simmons Craig, Batelaan Okke, 2015. Comparison of three dual-source remote sensing evapotranspiration models during the MUSOEXE-12 campaign: Revisit of model physics. Water Resources Research, 51, 3145-3165.
43. Yuting Yang*, Huade Guan, Miaogen Shen, Wei Liang, Lei Jiang, 2015. Changes in autumn vegetation dormancy onset date and the climate controls across temperate ecosystems in China from 1982 to 2010. Global Change Biology, 21(2), 652-665.
44. Wei Liang, Yuting Yang, Dongmei Fan, Huade Guan, Tian Zhang, Di Long, Yi Zhou, Dan Bai*, 2015. Analysis of spatial and temporal patterns of net primary production and their climate controls in China from 1982 to 2010. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 204, 22-36.
45. Di Long*, Yuting Yang, Yoshihide Wada, Yang Hong, Wei Liang, Yaning Chen, Bin Yong, Aizhong Hou, Jiangfeng Wei, Lu Chen, 2015. Deriving scaling factors using a global hydrological model to restore GRACE total water storage changes for China’s Yangtze River Basin. Remote Sensing of Environment, 168, 177-193.
46. Bing Liu, Wenzhi Zhao*, Zhiling Liu, Yuting Yang, Weicheng Luo, Hai Zhou, Yongyong Zhang, 2015. Changes in species diversity, aboveground biomass, and vegetation cover along an afforestation successional gradient in a semiarid desert steppe of China. Ecological Engineering, 81, 301-311.
47. Wei Liang, Dan Bai*, Feiyu Wang, Bojie Fu, Junping Yan, Shuai Wang, Yuting Yang, Di Long, Minquan Feng, 2015. Quantifying the impacts of climate change and ecological construction on streamflow change based on the Budyko framework in the Loess Plateau of China. Water Resources Research, 51, 6500-6519.
48. Wei Liang, Dan Bai*, Zhao Jin, Yuchi You, Jiaxing Li, Yuting Yang*, 2015. A study on the streamflow change and its relationship with climate change and ecological restoration measures in a sediment concentrated region in the Loess Plateau. Water Resources Management, 29, 4045-4060.
49. Yuting Yang*, Di Long, Huade Guan, Bridget Scanlon, Craig Simmons, Lei Jiang, Xiang Xu, 2014. GRACE satellite observed hydrological controls on interannual and seasonal variability of surface greenness over mainland Australia. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, 119, 2245-2260.
50. Yuting Yang*, Huade Guan, Songhao Shang, Di Long, Craig T. Simmons, 2014. Towards the use of the MODIS ET product to estimate terrestrial GPP for non-forest ecosystems. IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, 11, 1624-1628.
51. Hanyu Lu*, Tingxi Liu, Yuting Yang, Dandan Yao, 2014. A hybrid dual-source model of estimating evapotranspiration over different ecosystems and implications for satellite-based approaches. Remote Sensing, 6, 8359-8386.
52. Di Long*, Yanjun Shen, Alexander Sun, Yang Hong, Laurent Longuevergne, Yuting Yang, Bin Li, Lu Chen, 2014. Drought and Flood Monitoring for a Large Karst Plateau in Southwest China from Extended GRACE Data. Remote Sensing of Environment, 115, 145-160.
53. Yuting Yang*, Russ Scott, Songhao Shang, 2013. Modeling evapotranspiration and its partitioning over a semiarid shrub ecosystem from satellite imagery: a multiple validation. Journal of Applied Remote Sensing 7(1), 073459.
54. Yuting Yang*, Di Long, Songhao Shang, 2013. Remote estimation of terrestrial evapotranspiration without using meteorological data. Geophysical Research Letters, 40, 3026-3030.
55. Yuting Yang*, Songhao Shang, Huade Guan, Lei Jiang, 2013. A novel algorithm to assess gross primary production for terrestrial ecosystems from MODIS imagery. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, 118, 590-605.
56. Yuting Yang, Songhao Shang*, 2013. A hybrid dual source scheme and trapezoid framework based evapotranspiration model (HTEM) using satellite images: algorithm and model test. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmosphere, 118, 2284-2300.
57. Yuting Yang*, Huade Guan, John Hutson, Hailong Wang, Caecilia Ewenz, Songhao Shang and Craig Simmons, 2013. Examination and parameterization of the root water uptake model from stem water potential and sap flow measurements. Hydrological Processes, 27(20), 2857-2863.
58. Yuting Yang, Songhao Shang* and Lei Jiang, 2012. Remote Sensing temporal and spatial patterns of evapotranspiration and the responses to water management in a large irrigation district of North China. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 164, 112-122.
59. Yuting Yang, Songhao Shang* and Huade Guan, 2012. Development of a soil-plant-atmosphere continuum model (HDS-SPAC) based on hybrid dual-source approach and its verification in wheat land. Science China: Technological Sciences. 55(10): 2671-2685.
60. Yuting Yang, Songhao Shang*, 2012. Comparison of three dual-source evapotranspiration models in partitioning potential evaporation and potential transpiration. Transactions of the CSAE, 28(24), 85-91 (In Chinese with English abstract).
61. Yuting Yang, Songhao Shang* and Chao Li, 2010.Correcting the smoothing effect of ordinary Kriging estimates in soil moisture interpolation. Advances in Water Science, 21, 64-69. (In Chinese with English abstract)
62. Yuting Yang, Chuan Liang*, 2008. Research on runoff forecasting and optimal operation of Daqiao reservoir in Xichang. Sichuan water power, 27, 77-80. (In Chinese with English abstract).
63. Lei Jiang, Yuting Yang, Songhao Shang*, 2013. Evaluation on irrigation efficiency of irrigation district in arid region based on evapotranspiration estimated from remote sensing data. Transactions of the CSAE, 29(20), 95-101 (In Chinese with English abstract).
64. Songhao Shang*, Lei Jiang, Yuting Yang, 2015. Review of remote sensing-based assessment method for irrigation and crop water use efficiency. Transactions of the Chinese Society for Agricultural Machinery. (In press) (In Chinese with English Abstract).